Closes: January 11, 2020
Canadian Center for Language Benchmarks
Selection Committee C/O Shannon Storey, Chair of the Board of Directors
Title of the position: Executive Director Date Ad Posted: December 11, 2019 Position Type: Full Time Application Deadline: January 11, 2020 Region: ON – Ottawa Area Start date: April 1, 2020 Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience
The Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CCLB)/Centre des niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CNCLC) is an Ottawa-based, national, non-profit organization. Since 1998, CCLB has been the centre of expertise in support of the Canadian Language Benchmarks and Niveaux de compétence linguistiques canadiens, the national standards for describing, measuring, and recognizing the second-language proficiency of immigrants and prospective immigrants for living and working in Canada.
CCLB is currently seeking an Executive Director with substantial relevant experience.
Under the direction of and reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director provides leadership to manage day-to-day operations and promote CCLB as a technical standards organization in the area of official languages for employment and settlement.
The Executive Director ensures the sustainability and effectiveness of CCLB through the following activities:
- Overseeing activities at CCLB including day-to-day staffing and operations;
- Obtaining funding for CCLB’s projects, sourced primarily through government agreements;
- Developing and maintaining annual operating budgets, preparing reports and evaluating and planning for financial risk;
- Maintaining effective liaison and networking with federal and provincial governments, partner organizations and multi-level stakeholders;
- Coordinating strategic and operating plans, research and development, and project management;
- Providing advice on policy issues to the CCLB Board, government agencies and other entities that are stakeholders in language for settlement and employment.
Interested individuals are asked to submit the following documents:
- Application cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and coordinates of two references (these will only be contacted for short-listed candidates)
CCLB welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified members of equity-seeking groups, including women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people with diverse gender identities, and people with disabilities. Members of these groups are encouraged to identify themselves. Although, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, all qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about the CCLB/NCLC, visit www.language.ca.
Please submit your application package in PDF format by email to the Chair of the Board of Directors no later than January 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM EST.
**Please ensure that the subject line reads “Executive Director”.
- Experience in financial, human resources management and organizational evaluation in the non-profit sector;
- Strong skills and experience in writing grant applications, proposals and reports to funders in both official languages;
- Excellent oral/aural communication skills in both French and English;
- Relevant Master’s degree, ideally in Applied Linguistics/Second Language Education although other degrees relevant to nonprofit management will be favourably considered;
- Experience related to the settlement sector in Canada, including but not limited to English and/or French language education;
- Proven record in managing a wide variety of joint non-profit and federal/provincial activities and initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience working with boards of directors and committees at the national level;
- Ability to travel within Canada required;
- Ability to work with strict deadlines and under pressure is necessary.
- Entrepreneurial drive with experience in promotion and development, preferably in relation to educational products and projects, is a significant asset.